Saturday, March 5, 2016

The Rebellion

This April marks the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rebellion in Ireland, 1916.


This revolt against British occupation and rule in Eire first took hold of my imagination when I was in my late 'teens. It immediately became part of a private collection of large and small moments in history that I find instructive and intensely moving; for example, the American Civil War, the Paris Commune, the U.S.S. Constitution against what seemed like the entire Royal Navy, and many many more. It accompanies my passion for traditional gaelic music and fueled a need for a greater understanding of the long and complex relationship between two countries that have always fascinated me. Then, too, a fair number of my ancestors have come from the countries involved, and emigrated "across the pond" because their lives were in danger from both rulers and others being ruled.

During the next few months there will be a number of posts about different aspects of this. I know that for many it might as well be ancient history. But consider this: I am by no means an ancient, and one month before the Rebellion ignited my father was born

No comments:

Post a Comment